There is Help for Victims of Crime

Posted Date: July 22nd, 2016 |

If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident with an intoxicated driver or a hit-skip driver (fled the scene of the accident), then Attorney Lisa M. Haywood with the Jones Law Group can provide assistance in getting you compensation through the Ohio Victims of Crime program in additional to other available recoveries.

We can also help you obtain a civil protection order to protect a victim of domestic violence through the Ohio Victims of Crime Program. A CPO is intended to prevent further domestic violence. It orders someone who has been abusive to do or not do certain things in the future.

There may be a time limit in which you can bring your claim or you will be forever barred.  So don’t delay in calling us to protect your legal rights.

If you live in Ohio, call Attorney Lisa M. Haywood with the Jones Law Group today to schedule a consultation so that she may advise you of your rights and help you receive the compensation that you deserve.

Please call Attorney Lisa M. Haywood (614) 545-9998

You will not be charged any legal fees to file a Victims of Crime claim


Who may be eligible to receive a payment:

  • Victims injured as result of violent crime.
  • Dependents of homicide victims.
  • Claimants responsible for crime victims’ expenses, such as parents or guardians. 

Who may not be eligible to receive a payment:

  • Offenders or accomplices of offenders.
  • Victims who have a felony conviction, or a child endangering or domestic violence conviction, within 10 years prior to the crime or while the claim is pending; or anyone who engaged in a felony offense of violence or felony drug trafficking, within 10 years prior to the crime or while the claim is pending; or anyone who, at the time of the crime, engaged in felony drug possession.
  • Victims who were minors and do not file within two years of their eighteenth birthday or two years from the date a complaint, indictment, or information is filed against the alleged offender, whichever is later.
  • Victims whose crimes are not reported to law enforcement.
  • Victims who do not fully cooperate with law enforcement.

Payments can cover:

  • Medical and related expenses AND Wages lost because of the crime.
  • Counseling for immediate family members of victims of homicide, sexual assault, or domestic violence.
  • Crime scene cleanup for personal security, such as doors and windows.
  • The cost to replace items taken as evidence.
  • Lost wages and travel expenses for family members of a deceased victim to attend court proceedings.
  • Financial support for dependents of a deceased victim.
  • Funeral and burial expenses.

The maximum total payments are limited to $50,000, and several expenses have caps. Payments cannot be made for pain and suffering or for stolen, damaged, or lost property.

The Attorney General’s Office will not pay victims for expenses that can be covered by any other available sources, such as insurance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please enter the CAPTCHA text

call Columbus Attorney
Call for a free Consultation


Email us now!